One.


Adventures in Tripoli, Libya

Monday June 26th, 2006

I have now been in Libya for a few days now - since the 22nd, and its been quite an interesting experience so far. One thought I had just yesterday was how different it is living amongst the same race of people in their mother country which has a rich history dating back even several millennia, versus living in Southern California where you have such a variety of races and cultures in the "New World" - in existence for less than a quarter of one millennium.

In the first scenario, you have a unified culture and religion containing a certain reference to ethics, manners, and character, while in the second scenario you have a broad base of different value systems, races, and cultures in constant interaction.

Of course, the culture here is more family oriented than the average American household. This includes not just the extended family but even "strangers". In fact, this internet cafe that I now sit in was very cordial in inviting me in: "You are our brother. Please sit where you wish."

In America we avoid eye contact with strangers, but here in Tripoli, when passing another individual in the street, they extend their greetings to you.

Outside of the social observations, the weather has been quite hot, as my cousin aptly called it a "warm welcome" in our honor. In particular the house we are staying in, as it has just finished being built, has no AC installed yet, and the heat has caused me some fatigue and nausea which I am still feeling now.

Yesterday, I went with my cousin and his friend to go purchase a television, digital satellite reciever, and the dish itself. This was my first real look at the city during the daytime. We drove on a highway overlooking the sea, which was nice. We could see the harbor with parked boats, and possibly yachts. There was a nice futbol field setup inbetween the streets where some kids were playing with many onlookers. The first time I got a real look at nice, freshly cut green grass in Tripoli. The kids appeared to be wearing European Futbol Club Jerseys: Barcelona, New Castle United, and Manchester United.

I found it interesting to see that there were various signs on the highway that had Qur'anic verses and Supplications. One supplication translated into English read: "My Lord fill this city with Serentiy." Of course in America, although most of the population may not be offended, signs like this would surely have secularists and atheists alike yelling: "Seperation between Church and State!"

The next weeks should bring more interesting experiences and observations. In the mean time, I am going to do my best to stay cool and well - maintain some vitality while I am here. Hopefully I will get the opportunity to pick up a camera and take some pictures. Inshallah.

I will try to update this as time and my interest allow. :)

0 Responses to “Adventures in Tripoli, Libya”

Post a Comment


Web This Blog

Archives



XML

Powered by Blogger